Joan Gladwyn has a background in science, gaining a Bachelors in Science with Honours in Physics from the University of London and a Master of Science in Applied and Modern Optics at the University of Reading. She has worked for several companies and defence organisations before becoming a teacher of physics and science. After visiting New Zealand on sabbatical leave, she emigrated to New Zealand, settling in Christchurch. Through her work as the Science Outreach Coordinator at the University of Canterbury, she has gained a working knowledge of a wide range of scientific fields, including astronomy, biology, chemistry, psychology, water resource management, physics, engineering, geology and geography, to name a few.
Joan gained a Diploma in Proofreading and Editing from the New Zealand Institute of Business Studies in September 2015, and founded Proper Words in early 2016. She now devotes herself full-time to her editing work, and is a Professional Member of the Institute of Professional Editors.
Qualifications & Affiliations:
- Professional Member of the Institute of Professional Editors
- Diploma in Proofreading and Editing from the New Zealand Institute of Business Studies
- Masters in Applied and Modern Optics from the University of Reading
- Bachelors in Physics from the University of London
- Over 20 years experience in science education